Washington, D.C. (October 29, 2021)—Today, Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, issued the following statement on key Committee priorities included in President Biden’s Build Back Better framework:
“Build Back Better will be one of the most important bills of our lifetime, and I am honored that provisions championed by my Committee have been included in President Biden’s framework. We are in a climate emergency, and the federal government should be leading the way in confronting this crisis head on. I am proud that the Build Back Better framework includes provisions my Committee championed to electrify the federal government’s vehicle fleet and make the federal government a leader on combatting climate change. I’m also proud of our work to fund the implementation and oversight of important environmental justice priorities. I look forward to working with my colleagues to pass this bill into law.”
The following key provisions were included in the Committee’s title of President Biden’s Build Back Better framework:
- Postal Service Fleet Electrification: The title includes nearly $6 billion for the Postal Service, including $2.57 billion to purchase electric vehicles and $3.41 billion to build the necessary charging infrastructure. This funding will ensure that the Postal Service purchases tens of thousands of clean electric vehicles and acquires the charging infrastructure necessary to support this new electric fleet.
- General Services Administration (GSA) Fleet Electrification: The title provides approximately $3 billion for GSA to purchase electric vehicles for the federal fleet, as well as the necessary charging infrastructure. This investment will allow GSA to purchase tens of thousands of electric vehicles and cut hundreds of thousands of metric tons of CO2 annually—equivalent to tens of millions of gallons of gas saved every year.
- GSA Procurement and Technology: The title includes $3.25 billion for GSA to increase energy efficiency, purchase low-carbon materials, and reduce the carbon footprint of the federal government.
- GSA Emerging Technologies: The title includes $975 million for GSA to support the deployment of emerging and sustainable technologies, allowing the federal government to benefit from cutting-edge solutions to reduce emissions and cut costs. The investment creates a greener, more efficient federal government while also supporting commercialization of green technology and prioritizing the responsible stewardship of taxpayer dollars.
- Environmental Justice: The title includes $25 million in funding for timely and effective implementation of President Biden’s Justice40 Initiative. Under this initiative, the President has pledged to deliver at least 40% of the benefits of infrastructure investments to the communities that have been most impacted by environmental injustice. This funding also covers the tracking of labor, equity, and environmental standards and performance.
- Oversight of Federal Programs: The title provides $25 million for the Government Accountability Office to monitor the implementation of the Build Back Better Act and to track the equitable distribution of the economic, social, and environmental impacts of the funds. The title also includes funding for the GSA and Postal Service Inspectors General.
Go to Source