WASHINGTON, D.C. | March 23, 2020
Republican Leader of the Education and Labor Committee, Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC), released the following statement in response to Democrats’ partisan COVID-19 legislation circulated earlier today:
“This is a socialist dream agenda full of permanent policy changes that Democrats are attempting to jam through during an unprecedented public health and economic crisis. It is disgraceful. This partisan bill is chock full of special interest bailouts, union wish lists, and job destroying policies. These so-called solutions will end up burdening those most affected by this evolving situation, especially small businesses, employers, and taxpayers who are going to be saddled with the costs of this bill.
“Democrats should be ashamed that their leadership is behaving so terribly at a time when Members should unite to deliver targeted, bipartisan relief to American workers, students, and the businesses and schools that serve them.”
Lowlights of Democrats’ Partisan Legislation:
- Includes $10,000 in student loan forgiveness per borrower
- Forces businesses receiving federal aid for COVID-19 to permanently raise minimum wage to $15 per hour and to pay employees “regardless of whether the individual is classified as an independent contractor.” Any worker providing services to these businesses would lose their independent contractor status.
- Requires corporations applying for federal aid to:
- disclose all political expenditures and any political expenditures the corporation intends to make in the coming year
- provide information on “workforce culture and empowerment” including how many work-life balance activities they’re doing
- Bails out union-run pension plans which were failing well before the COVID-19 crisis
- Guts the Secretary’s authority to exempt small employers from paid leave requirements
Go to Source