|Sponsor:||Rep. Cicilline, David N. [D-RI-1] (Introduced 01/11/2021)|
|Committees:||House – Judiciary|
|Latest Action:||House – 01/12/2021 Rules Committee Resolution H. Res. 41 Reported to House. Rule provides for consideration of H. Res. 24 with 2 hours of general debate. Previous question shall be considered as ordered without intervening motions. Measure will be considered read. Bill is closed to amendments. (All Actions)|
This bill has the status Introduced
Here are the steps for Status of Legislation:
- Agreed to in House
Subject — Policy Area:
Summary: H.Res.24 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)All Information (Except Text)
Introduced in House (01/11/2021)
This resolution impeaches President Donald John Trump for high crimes and misdemeanors.
Specifically, the resolution sets forth an article of impeachment stating that President Trump incited an insurrection against the government of the United States.
The article states that
- prior to the joint session of Congress held on January 6, 2021, to count the votes of the electoral college, President Trump repeatedly issued false statements asserting that the presidential election results were fraudulent and should not be accepted by the American people or certified by state or federal officials;
- shortly before the joint session commenced, President Trump reiterated false claims to a crowd near the White House and willfully made statements to the crowd that encouraged and foreseeably resulted in lawless action at the Capitol;
- members of the crowd, incited by President Trump, unlawfully breached and vandalized the Capitol and engaged in other violent, destructive, and seditious acts, including the killing of a law enforcement officer;
- President Trump’s conduct on January 6, 2021, followed his prior efforts to subvert and obstruct the certification of the presidential election, which included a threatening phone call to the Secretary of State of Georgia on January 2, 2021;
- President Trump gravely endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of government, threatened the integrity of the democratic system, interfered with the peaceful transition of power, and imperiled a coequal branch of government; and
- by such conduct, President Trump warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold U.S. office.
Go to Source