San Jose, Calif. – Committee on House Administration Chairperson Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) today issued the following statement after President Donald Trump admitted during a telephone interview this morning on Fox & Friends that potentially life-saving protections for voters were removed from the CARES Act to suppress voter turnout and help his political party win elections:
“Here’s what the President said: “They had things, levels of voting that if you ever agree to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.”
“But the House bill just focused on safety for voters and election workers:
- All registered voters would be mailed an absentee ballot with prepaid return postage and a self-sealing envelope in the event of an emergency (including COVID-19).
- No-excuse absentee voting, which allows voters to preserve social distancing and cast a ballot from the safety of their own home.
- At least 15 days of expanded early voting, protecting voters and poll workers by alleviating potentially dangerous overcrowding at polling locations on election day.
- Online and same-day voter registration, which eliminates unnecessary trips to voter registration centers.
- $4 billion in funding to states to carry out this year’s elections.
“Each of these provisions would, in the event of a prolonged pandemic, protect Americans and ensure every eligible voter would be free to cast their ballot unencumbered by the choice of potentially exposing themselves to a deadly virus or exercising their right to vote.
“The President says that if we make it easier to vote, Republicans will lose elections. He is apparently willing to expose voters to the deadly COVID-19 for purely partisan political advantage.
“This is morally bankrupt and a monstrous example of putting party ahead of America. Every American, regardless of party affiliation, should condemn the President’s apparent belief that it’s a good thing for American voters to risk their lives when safer voting alternatives are possible.”
# # #
Go to Source