U.S. Coast Guard 8th District Public Affairs Detachment Texas
Unified command suspends search for two missing fishermen after vessel collision near Galveston, Texas
HOUSTON — The unified command has suspended the search Thursday for two missing fishermen from the 81-foot fishing vessel Pappy’s Pride that capsized after a collision near the Galveston Jetties in Galveston, Texas.
Responders searched more than 49 square miles over the past three days.
“It is never an easy decision to suspend a search,” said Cmdr. Jordan Baldueza, Sector Houston-Galveston search and rescue mission coordinator. “Our hearts are with the families, friends and loved ones of every individual involved in this tragic event. Responders from multiple federal, state and local agencies, as well as multiple good Samaritans, have worked tirelessly over the past three days to conduct aerial flights, shore patrols and maritime searches covering more than 49 square miles in hopes of locating these two gentlemen.”
The cause of the incident is still under investigation by the Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board.
Vessel Traffic Service Houston-Galveston has the following restrictions while transiting between the Galveston Bay entrance channel lighted buoys 7 and 8 and the Galveston Bay entrance channel lighted buoys 9 and 10 of no meeting or overtaking, with wake and surge considerations due to recovery operations in that area.
Involved in the response are:
- A Station Galveston 45-foot Response Boat–Medium boat crew
- Station Galveston 29-foot Response Boat–Small boat crews
- An Air Station Houston MH-65 Dolphin Helicopter aircrew
- The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Beluga
- Sector Houston-Galveston Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) team
- Marine Safety Unit Texas City personnel
- Texas City Fire Department Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) team
- Multiple good Samaritan vessels
- Galveston Police Department
- Galveston County Sheriff’s Office
- Galveston Island Beach Patrol
- Texas General Land Office
- Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office Dive Team
For previous releases please visit the PA Detachment Texas online newsroom.
Go to Source