The Department distributed $266.4 million to states in FY 2020 Training and Other Activities funding in an initial allocation in April 2020. This second distribution of $102.5 million together with the initial allocation represents 90 percent of the amount of Training and Other Activities funds available for the fiscal year. A final distribution of the remaining 10 percent will be made in September.
Trade-affected workers experience losses in income when their wages or hours are reduced or jobs lost when their employers send their work to firms overseas. The Department uses the TAA Program to provide training, reemployment services, and income support in the form of Trade Readjustment Assistance to eligible workers and Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance to eligible workers age 50 and older, to help them find new employment.
“In issuing these funds, states have an opportunity to leverage Trade Adjustment Assistance Program dollars to be responsive to American workers that have lost their jobs or income due to international trade. These trade-affected workers will receive access to a complete set of services designed to provide the critical assistance workers need during unexpected, sometimes abrupt layoffs,” said Assistant Secretary for Employment & Training John Pallasch. “Our goal is to provide resources to assist workers in becoming re-employed in the fastest possible way, which supports our strategy to strengthen America’s economy.”
A full list of states receiving funding in this distribution is available. Learn more about on the TAA for Workers Program. Related guidance on the distribution of funds is also available.
The mission of the Department of Labor is to foster, promote and develop the welfare of the wage earners, job seekers and retirees of the United States; improve working conditions; advance opportunities for profitable employment; and assure work-related benefits and rights.
Go to Source